Friday, March 4, 2016

Whisper of Evil by Kay Hooper

Series: Evil Trilogy
Page number: 392
Genre: Mystery
Release Date: June 25, 2002

Someone is stalking the little town of Silence. Three victims have fallen to a killer's savage vengeance. Each of the dead men was a successful and respected member of the community-yet each also harbored a dark secret discovered only after his murder. Were their deaths the ultimate punishment for those secrets? Or something even more sinister. 



Nell Gallagher has come home to Silence more than a decade after leaving one dark night with her own painful secrets. Forced now by family duty to return, she ha also come home to settle with the past. But past and present tangle in a murderer's vicious attacks, and to find the answers she needs, Nell must call on the psychic skills the drove her away years before. She must risk her own life and sanity, and regain the trust of the man she left behind so long ago. For the killer she seeks is seeking her, watching her every move, preying upon her vulnerability-and already so close she'll never see death coming. 


Kay Hooper is another author that I am familiar with. I have read a few of her books, and she is quickly becoming another one of my favorite authors. I love her books, because their is never a dull moment. She knows how to add twists and turns that will have your head spinning. She really knows how to grab the reader's attention and keep it. I'm not even sure if I actually put this book down.

This book, book 2, is part of a series, but if you read them out of order, it's fine because they aren't a continuation of the previous book. I have only read this one. I know you were probably thinking "Oh man now I have to get all of them." I know I was thinking the same thing, until I finally read this book.

Let me just tell you that if you love mysteries and you like trying to figure out who the murder is, it will be the struggle in this book. There are so many plot twists in this book, it will have you wondering what could possibly come next. It's like a roller coaster with all the twists, and those gut feelings you get while on them. Shock was the basic emotion I felt while reading this book. Kay Hooper also found a way to slide some romance into the story as well, and that kind of balances out the plot so that their won't be too many surprises thrown at you.

So Nell Gallagher returns to her home town of Silence with her dark and mysterious secrets. I know very cliched right? Well not quite. She meets the man she loved and left a long time ago. Again I know total cliche. Just wait. When she arrives, she hears word about a killer who has no killed three locals. Wow a killer in a town called Silence. How Ironic. Now not only does she have to worry about falling for the man she left, but she also has to worry about the killer terrorizing her home town. But there's more. To top it off she has to worry about keeping her physic abilities from kicking into over drive, which could not only be harmful but deadly, and she has to keep her true identity concealed. Nell is faced with many challenges, and with every challenge come a new piece to the puzzle, that won't seem to fit.

What I love about this story, is that Kay Hooper adds the killer's point of view without giving away his identity which I think shows true skills. It also adds a bit of creepiness that  sends shiver down your spine once you realize how crazy and dangerous the killer is. You realize how close he/she is to Nell without her even realizing it, and when the killer is revealed wow just wow. I had never suspected it. One reason I didn't expect it is because of the secrets. Kay slowly reveals them, and leaves you wanting more.

I recommend you read her books, because they are so good, and they leave you puzzled. I have read only three of them, and they were equally shocking. Right now I don't have the first book, but I have the third one that I plan to review as soon as I read it. It might be awhile, so I won't just be review mysteries, you might get tired of them after while.

Please comment and let me know how you enjoyed this review, or if you read it and want to start a discussion about it, or if you have any books by her or any other book you would like me to read and review let me know. Also if I made any mistakes, because we all make them, let me know and I will correct them. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment